Sweet Potato Hummus
This recipe is from Cookie and Kate without any modification. It’s spicy and yummy (as is) and was a hit at a recent birthday party.
It goes very well with toasted plantain torilla as well as carrot and celery sticks.
- 2 Medium sweet potatoes
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Cups cooked chickpeas (or one can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained)
- 3 Tbsp sesame tahini*
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- juice of 1 lemon
- zest of ½ lemon
- ground sea salt, to taste
- 1½ tsp cayenne pepper (start with less, season to taste)
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cumin
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Bake the sweet potatoes on the middle oven rack or in a baking dish for 45 minutes to an hour. They should yield to a gentle squeeze when they’re done baking.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooling, toss all of the other ingredients into a food processor (you can save the spices for last and add them to taste).
- Once the sweet potatoes have cooled enough to handle, use a knife or your fingers to peel the skin off of them.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the food processor. Blend well, and serve!
- Garnish options: a light sprinkle of cayenne pepper and sesame seeds.
*I used homemade sesame tahini but shop bought should be fine