Banana & Cinnamon Muffins
Here’s a gluten-free alternative to the Blueberry Spelt Flour Muffins. The original recipe uses almond butter but I had a very ripe avocado that needed using up so I substituted it in to make a nut free version. Generally an extra egg does the trick when substituting avocado for butter in baking (shown in the recipe below) but in my first experiment of this recipe I increased the amount of coconut oil and added a tbsp of honey instead of adding an egg.
I expect you could use dairy butter as a 1:1 substitute for nut butter if you’re not on a lactose free diet.
If your bananas are not very ripe then add a little honey or maple syrup if you prefer slightly sweeter muffins.
- 4 bananas, mashed with a fork (the more ripe, the better)
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup avocado*
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a muffin tin with cups. In a large bowl, add bananas, eggs, almond butter*, coconut oil, and vanilla. Using a hand blender, blend to combine. (A stick blender or smoothie blender also works to mix the ingredients)
- Add in the coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Blend into the wet mixture. Distribute the batter evenly into the lined muffin tins, filling each about two-thirds of the way full
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm or store in the refrigerator in a resealable bag.