Dark Chocolate Chia Banana Bread
Although this isn’t much different from the original recipe that I found on PaleoOMG.com, I’ve made several versions including cupcakes with an experimental raspberry frosting made from avocado. The original topping makes the bread just a bit too chocolatey for me (yes, who’d of thought!) I’ve also successfully replaced the nut butter with an avocado and extra egg for the cupcakes shown below (see the recipe note).
The main photo (above) shows the recipe mix in 2 mini loaf tins and although you can’t see them I used blueberries instead of raspberries, only because that’s what I had in my freezer.
Optional Raspberry Avocado Frosting
Based on a chocolate avocado frosting recipe but green!
- 1 medium avocado
- 1/2 cup raspberry
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp solid coconut oil
- In a saucepan on a low-medium heat, mix together the raspberries and honey until the raspberries break apart.
- In a blender add the avocado, raspberry mix, 1/4 cup honey, 2 tsp solid coconut oil and blend well.
- Use on the baked cupcakes/muffins or loaf as required.
Since I don’t have a food processor I either use my stick blender, smoothie maker or just the old-fashioned large bowl and wooden spoon to blend the ingredients. For this recipe I managed to use the smoothie maker but had to stir in the dry ingredients with a spoon, then scrap down the sides in between pulse/blends a couple of times before it combined well for the final blitz blending. I always seem to this chocolatey, gooey mix all over my fingers… yum! (Don’t forget this has raw eggs so lick at your own risk!)
- 1 Cup mashed bananas (2 - 3 bananas)
- 1 Cup nut butter (almond butter**, sunflower seed butter, etc.)*
- ¼ Cup honey
- 2 eggs*
- ¼ Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ Cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp raw chia seeds
- ½ Cup blueberries or raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- ½ Cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Place the bananas and wet ingredients (nut butter, honey and eggs) into a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Then add the dry ingredients (cocoa powder, coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt) to the food processor and puree until it is well combined.
- In a large bowl fold in the chia seeds, berries and chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into a greased bread pan (9×5) and bake for 55-60 minutes.*
- Once bread is cooked through, let cool on a cooling rack.
Bake in two 6×4 mini bread pans for approximately 60 minutes
Makes 14-16 cupcakes and bakes for approx 30 minutes
* Alternatively, substitute the nut butter with 1 medium avocado and use an extra egg. Bake at 160ºC.
Original Raspberry Chocolate Topping Ingredients
- 1/2 Cup rapsberries
- 1 Tbsp organic honey
- 1/2 Cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- 1 Tbsp almond or coconut milk
- In a saucepan or in the microwave, mix together raspberries and honey until raspberries break apart.
- In a double boiler or in the microwave, mix together chocolate chips and almond milk until melted.
- Add both the raspberry mixture and melted chocolate on top of the banana bread in any design you would like! Cut and enjoy!
Approximate sugar content in this recipe
- 1/4 cup honey ≈ 64.5g
- 2 bananas ≈ 56g
- 1 cup blueberries ≈ 15g
- 1 cup raspberries ≈ 5g
- Chocolate chips sugar content varies across brands so check the packet. If you use cocoa nibs then there is likely to be less than 1g sugar per 100g.