Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Avocado Frosting
Like chocolate but intolerant to dairy? Fear not! No eggs or dairy milk required. There’s even a nut-free option. Use this spelt-flour, dairy-free recipe with or without the avocado frosting to make 14-16 cupcakes, one big cake or a 2-layer sandwich cake. Chocolate yumminess.
I originally found this as a vegan recipe where the sweetener was agave syrup but I don’t use that ingredient (and don’t know much about it other than it’s highly processed) so switched it to organic honey. For almond milk (or any nut milk for this recipe) I prefer to make my own but the shop-bought varieties also do the job. If you have a nut allergy then rice, hemp or coconut milk are alternatives. I’ve had success with both rice milk and coconut milk. I expect good old fashioned dairy cow’s milk would also work but you would probably need to reduce the honey (or other choice of sweetener) to account for the milk’s natural sweetness (lactose aka milk sugar).
I’ve used this recipe to make my very own chocolate sandwich birthday cake and it went down a treat. The cake version (made in 2 sandwich tins) takes around 40-50min to bake.
- 1¼ cups spelt flour (or blend of white/wheat)
- ¾ cup honey
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond* milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 very ripe avocados
- ¼ cup chopped baking chocolate (around 65% cacao)
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup honey (originally agave syrup. Alt ⅛ cup coconut sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup almond* milk
- pinch of salt
- * For nut free use coconut or hemp milk
- Make the cupcakes: Mix the wet ingredients, mix the dry ingredients, mix together and bake for 15-18 minutes at 170°C. These are best if you under bake them slightly (since there's not very much oil in the recipe).
- Make the frosting: Melt the baking chocolate in the microwave (careful not to burn it). Let it cool slightly. In a food processor mix all ingredients together. Taste and adjust. Let chill in the fridge for at least 15 or so minutes.